Sunday, October 11, 2009

Tangier

From now on, I shall think of my travel fantasies as having the possibility of being pipe dreams. Morocco so far has been trying, fascinating, and exhausting. I chose to stay in the old town market of Tangier called the medina for the first three days. What a lot of characters and incidents I have to write about when I have time, but I do not right now. I will mention the smells of this city--the aroma of spices and meat cooking, the perfumes of musk and sandalwood--the sounds of it when the islamic call to prayer echoes in a haunting reminder call and response over the rooftops and the melange of tongues--Spanish, French, , Arabic, Portugese, English--the sights--1000 year old labyrinthian paths up and down the steep streets were an overwhelming experience,

Today it is on to Fes. The pic above was taken during the evening call to prayer. Our riad looked out over the mosque and the harbor. 20 dollars a night for such riches as these.

No comments:

Post a Comment