Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Segovia in the Rain

I am not much of a happy crier. Really. I´m a pretty emotional person, but happiness does not make me cry, and I can recall only once or twice this has ever happened to me. It did yesterday, however. J. and I were sitting in a park outside the Prado, having spent the morning looking at the Goya and Velasquez inside. The temperature was perfect, the leaves were falling, he was laying on the park bench with his head in my lap where I was sitting.

He was holding forth, as he is wont to do, about the real Goya. The Prado is full of Goyas and other wonderful things, and we had just seen his favorite painting, The Third of May--the one which is his background on his cell phone and the one which it doesn´t take much of a leap to understand gave him strength while he was in Iraq. We were drinking perfect iced lattes, and everything felt so wonderful. He seemed so happy, so healthy, so whole...he´d gone running earlier that morning getting ready for Soweto, and his leg hardly pains him at all now. It was such a beautiful day. I did cry.

Today we went to Segovia, which is another beautiful Castillian town with steep, narrow streets and built on a 1000 years of history. I got pictures of the cathedral and quite a bit of the architecture. The picture above is J. in a gazebo at Pl. Mayor we ducked in to avoid the rain. I highly recommend Segovia...and iced lattes and Madrid in October outside the Prado with someone you love. Tomorrow we leave for Morocco.

No comments:

Post a Comment